The Windows Normal Task Manager does not provide much information about running processes. The Security Task Manager goes much further into the depth and reveals an internal analysis also viruses and Trojans. The new version 2.0 can do even more. It draws attention to existing security gaps, deletes hidden super-cookies in the system, and checks the web browsers for tampering.
The Security Task Manager is targeted at Windows users who complain about computer problems or are more interested in the security aspect when working with their PC. The program works like the classic Task Manager of Windows – and shows all currently running programs, processes and services. However, the Security Task Manager provides a security rating for each task. A red bar indicates in the overview at a glance a potential threat. Viruses, Trojan horses, rootkits and other threats can be detected immediately. They sometimes camouflage themselves as virtual drivers, as a service or as a browser extension.
The Security Task Manager also shows whether a listed task supports delicate functions such as keyboard recording or browser monitoring, or whether it allows similar manipulation to the system. Notes and tips from other users who have already had experience with dangerous processes and services are also displayed by the Security Task Manager.
The Security Task Manager is now available in the new version 2.0. The program has been substantially revised and expanded. In addition to simplified handling and a modernized design, the developers have improved the installation, adjusted the documentation, and optimized the runability. Among the really elementary improvements are:
- Virus Scan: When the Security Task Manager is called up, an automatic virus scan of the running processes can be carried out quickly. The proven antivirus engines are used.
- Security gaps: If there are known security gaps in the area of the Windows system and web browser, the program points out. This also applies to other frequently used attack targets.
- Security- relevant settings: In all installed browsers and also under Windows, the program looks at how the security-related settings are ordered.
- Super Cookies: Cookies that are particularly difficult to track, which can not be deleted in the browser, can now be removed using the Security Task Manager. These are, for example, DOM Storage and Flash Cookies.
- Browser monitoring: The program reports installed phishing filters in the web browser and makes sure that the home page or the search has been manipulated.
- “Do Not Track” Option: The tool can ensure that the user’s activities are not recorded secretly. Toolbars and processes with webcam / microphone access might be responsible.
The Security Task Manager works under Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. There is a free 30-day full version to try out . The full version costs 29 euros and also contains the tool Spy Protector.